Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Free Day - Church of the Sepulchre, Hezekiah's Tunnel, Kidron Valley and Tombs (7/31)

Hot! The moment I walked out of my room at 7:00am for my daily devotions and prayer, I was hit by a wall of heat. Today is going to be a hot one for sure! Even though it was our day off, I still woke up early with a couple of others to beat the rush at the Holy Sepulchre. It was still a busy place and we had to wait in line a bit. I took some pictures of the rising sun breaking into the room through a lofty window. While waiting in line to visit the place where they believe Christ was buried, I read John 19-20 and found a reflective and grateful heart for the Lord's sacrifice, example, and salvation which He extended to me [and all of mankind].

(On an humorous side note, I found it ironic that in a place designed to commemorate and honor the Man who most truly exhibited what it means to deny oneself and put others before you, would also be a place where many would come to pay their respects and at the same time cut in line to put themselves in front of/before others.
)

We had lunch in the market and a few of us set out to find Hezekiah's Tunnel. It was closed for the Sabbath, but we were still able to walk around some. We ventured up the Kidron Valley and even stopped in some tombs along the way. Trying in part to escape the heat as much as to explore. The heat was oppressive and their was only the faintest of breezes along the valley floor. The heat seemed to radiate from all sides as the sun's glare reflected from the steep walls and even from the ground we walked on. I sweat my shirt completely through and was thankful that I was wearing shorts for once. We returned to the guest house for cold showers and water.

After my shower I read some until dinner and spent the rest of the evening emailing, catching up on my journal, and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment