Monday, August 9, 2010

Hebron: Part II (7/22)

Please Read Hebron (7/22) First Before Reading This Post To Have The Full Context Of The Story.

When we were walking in the market in Bethlehem that afternoon/evening, a handful of boys burst into the road in front of us. It appeared that a young boy (14-16 years old) was chasing three boys (ages 10-12 years old). The first two young boys seemed to get away, but the third was dropped to the ground by a well-placed knee to his mid-thigh by the older boy. All of this happened right in front of me. The older boy placed his foot upon the younger boy’s neck and face pinning him to the ground. What had transpired to “merit” such treatment I am not sure, but somewhere amidst the shouts, clamor, physical altercation, and the expression on the little boy’s face as he was pinned to the stone street by a boot heel questions from deep within began to rise. While I could not understand the words, the expression of the older boy’s face combined with the harsh tone and words dripping with disdain contrasted sharply with the clearly humiliated tone of the young boy pleading desperately, his face riddled with pain and fear. Deep questions surfaced from within about the very nature of man and his capacity for humanity. Two brothers warring within a war. So far I do not see a land in desperate need of liberation from occupation, but in desperate need of Christ and His salvation. For this is not a land of people who are simply held captive by a wall of separation, but are prisoners of death, enslaved by sin. Likewise for those occupying forces.

But still I tell you that I have hope – not in man, government, or policies – But in Christ Jesus our Lord.




1 comment:

  1. Wow, I get it.... I don't because I wasn't there. But to some level I do. The suffering and poverty I experienced in Nicaragua recently resounds in your post. I left Nicaragua feeling like half my life was a lie.... like the other half of the truth lies out in the rest of the world with hurts, hate, poverty, and lack of hope most of us will never understand.

    ReplyDelete